Re: variable declarations shadowing named properties on window

On 1/5/12 6:35 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
> I haven't heard opposition to shadowing. It seems the only problem
> that's been brought up is figuring out how to spec it. Seems like an ES
> spec change is in order since a) it doesn't match what browsers do

What part of ES doesn't match exactly what which browsers do?

There was already a spec change so that var could shadow things on the
global's proto chain.  Opera, IE, Gecko all either did that already or
updated to the spec change.  JSC and V8 have not updated to it.

This spec change may not have propagated to all the copies of the spec
people are reading; I recall running into that problem before...

I propose we wait for someone familiar with the spec change to comment
with pointers to the updated spec text before anything else, because
that part kind of seems to matter.