Re: Non-constructible constructors and Arrays

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 10:24:18 +0200, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
>>  Specification writers need to write the actual behaviour for these
>> constructors whether they are implicitly declared or not.
>
> The default behavior would simply be to generate objects of those
> types without side effects. E.g., without a smarter ctor that accepts
> arguments, new HTMLDivElement() == document.createElement("div").

Without a definition for new HTMLDivElement() that would not be true. E.g.
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#concept-node-document
would be undefined which would be quite wrong for Element nodes.

> Not sure why that's a bad thing. Yes, HTML DOM can (and should!) do
> something smarter, but this is clearly a step in the right direction.

Why don't you make proposals for how existing specifications ought to
change?

As I said before, just saying everything can be constructed will just lead
to a messy situation.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/