Re: Binary data (ByteArray/ByteVector) proposal on public-script-coord

On Nov 6, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Alex Russell wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2009, at 11:30 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>>> Data is like an 8-bit "null encoded" String.  Which makes me
>>> wonder if you really just want to extend String to allow different
>>> encodings.  But I also regret String not being and Array.  Others
>>> must have too, because at one point I'm sure there was a proposal
>>> to make [] on string mean charAt?
>>
>> ES5 does have bracket index access to the individual characters.
>> But it does not make String inherit from Array.prototype, or add
>> all of the Array methods. To make it more concrete, have you ever
>> wished you could use methods like map(), filter(), reduce() or
>> join() on a String?
>
> join's an oddball since it's effectively a no-op, but map() and
> filter(), absolutely.

Can you give specific use cases for these, maybe with hypothetical
code examples?

Join would not be a no-op, and indeed you can use Array.prototype.join
on a String today:

javascript:alert(Array.prototype.join.call("abcde", "123")) ==>
"a123b123c123d123e"

Not a no-op but I'm not sure it's useful.

Regards,
Maciej