Re: Binary data (ByteArray/ByteVector) proposal on public-script-coord

On Nov 6, 2009, at 5:43 AM, P T Withington wrote:

> On 2009-11-05, at 19:42, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
>> My claim is that Data is not much like these things. I believe it
>> is more like String. It happens to be a sequence (of a very
>> specific type), but it's specialized enough to be worth treating
>> differently. Do people often regret that String is not an Array?
>
> Data is like an 8-bit "null encoded" String.  Which makes me wonder
> if you really just want to extend String to allow different
> encodings.  But I also regret String not being and Array.  Others
> must have too, because at one point I'm sure there was a proposal to
> make [] on string mean charAt?

ES5 does have bracket index access to the individual characters. But
it does not make String inherit from Array.prototype, or add all of
the Array methods. To make it more concrete, have you ever wished you
could use methods like map(), filter(), reduce() or join() on a String?

Regards,
Maciej