Re: Notes from Monday's meeting with TC39 folks

On Oct 8, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> At first glance, I'm not keen on the idea of making DOM API behavior
> depend on ES5 strict mode. Strict and non-strict code can mix
> freely, so to do the mode switching you have to know what kind of
> code is calling you - that seems yucky to implement and goes beyond
> the intent of strict mode that nearly all of its effects can happen
> at compile time.

For our "detecting context" that makes document.all not appear to be
present when tested by if, ?:, &&, etc., as opposed to your always-
present but falsy object, compile-time is the right time. Just noting
this difference.

> Also, affecting DOM APIs seems like major scope creep for strict
> mode. Right now, WebKit's DOM APIs have no idea what kind of code is
> calling them and I don't relish adding that functionality.

Ok, good feedback. Thanks.

> By contrast, document-level quirks mode vs. standards mode is a
> single global switch for the whole document. So it's much easier to
> implement the switching and verify that its correct. If we need to
> have switchable DOM API behavior, I'd rather base it on HTML
> standards vs. quirks rather than ES strict vs. non-strict.

Are you open to making undetected-document.all emulation depend on an
HTML standards vs. quirks mode switch?

Probably we should move now to public-html, if there is no WebIDL
angle to any of this.

/be