Re: Notes from Monday's meeting with TC39 folks

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 16:34:40 +0200, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.org>
wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2009, at 1:00 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Web IDL just specifies the notion of callable interfaces, not
>> callable collections per se.
>
> We don't want a honey trap in WebIDL, or particular bears putting
> their noses in it in HTML5.

Nonetheless I think Maciej is right. WebIDL could discourage use of
course. Though I guess you are saying we might not need them at all, ever.
Does that work for document.all?

>> Really the linchpin is IE/Trident supporting them. I think WebKit
>> and Presto only support them only to chase IE compatibility. I'd
>> much rather come to consensus on this than make it implementation-
>> dependent.
>
> Great, I hope Anne agrees. Sicking is carrying the torch on this issue
> to HTML5, IIRC but here we are in public-script-coord -- it would be
> excellent if we could resolve this promptly.

I asked how exactly IE envisions to remove support for them on this list.
I.e. if it is behind a version switch. I've yet to hear back, but I think
that if either IE or WebKit removes support for them we can do so too.

However that somewhat depends on whether IE keeps support behind a version
switch because then sites might do the X-UA-Compatible trick and will
still work in IE while not in Opera. That'd be annoying. (I'm not up in
the details on which sites rely on this exactly unfortunately.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/