Re: Scholarly Publishing @ the W3C

On 23/03/2020 19.22, Benjamin Young wrote:
> Is ScholarlyHTML still a format folks want to develop? We (John Wiley &
> Sons, Inc.) have a format based on this work, and would be interested in
> seeing it continue.
>
> Are there other formats folks are continuing to build upon and toward
> the Web?

"format"--

https://csarven.ca/linked-research-decentralised-web

> Related to the above, the larger publishing space at the W3C is heating
> back up. The Web Publishing WG is concluding it's work soon and
> publishing a Publication Manifest data model and an Audiobook format
> based on that model. During that time, the EPUB CG got EPUB 3.2 out the
> door, and now the W3C is working to charter an EPUB Working Group to
> bring that work to Recommendation status. And, to support all these
> efforts, the Publishing Community Group is positioned as a great place
> for future incubation efforts related to publishing.

> You can read more about those goings on in this blog post:
> https://www.w3.org/blog/2020/03/listen-to-the-people-the-future-of-epub-and-new-directions-for-publishing-w3c/

Can you elaborate how any of the work there helps
independent/self-publishers as opposed to organisations?

>  - do we rename this group (i.e "Scholarly Publishing CG") to encompass
> more than the ScholarlyHTML format?

I'll take that as a +1 to what I've raised a number of times regarding
the goal of the CG on "scholarly information" not being constrained to
articles and "formats" eg.

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-scholarlyhtml/2017Sep/0017.html

https://www.w3.org/Search/Mail/Public/advanced_search?keywords=%22scholarly+information%22&hdr-1-name=subject&hdr-1-query=&hdr-2-name=from&hdr-2-query=Sarven+Capadisli&hdr-3-name=message-id&hdr-3-query=&period_month=&period_year=&index-grp=Public__FULL&index-type=t&type-index=public-scholarlyhtml&resultsperpage=100&sortby=date

>  - do we join the Publishing CG (and close this group)?

I wouldn't suggest to "join" because they have a different agenda... so
expect solutions geared in favour of the third-party publishing industry.

As there is no activity here any way and the other CGs or WGs will go
ahead with "publishing", there is not much to discuss here. Especially
if we don't need to distinguish between "scholarly" from any other kind.
I certainly don't. Perhaps just consider closing this CG and those
interested in following up can move on to CGs/WGs..

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i