Re: html for scholarly communication: RASH, Scholarly HTML or Dokieli?

I am afraid we are engaging in some sort of theoretical discussion here which will never end: do we want to use the full of HTML5 or do we want to define a smaller structure by restricting to a subset of HTML5? I would think that we would be a bit ahead of this after the experiment Benjamin proposed: let us take a few real articles from various fields and see how the score with the RASH and SH; it will become easier to have an idea.

Maybe one more step would be, for each of those to also see how easy it would be for some of these articles to be formatted via CSS (or maybe CSS+JavaScript) to the formats that are in use (ACM, IEEE, etc). I am particularly worried about the incredible differences in article reference formats out there, and how could one author a paper so that the content could be adapted to any existing requirements (there is a reason why BiBTex is a separate engine to LaTeX…)

I am perfectly aware that some of these formats are a leftover from the ‘print’ world. But an underlying question to part of this debate is whether we want to conduct an evolution or a revolution (for those of you who witnessed the XHTML/HTML5 war back 10 years ago this may sound familiar…). If we talk about a revolution than we can safely ignore that ACM and IEEE formatting habits. If we talk about evolution then, in my view, we cannot…

Ivan

P.S. With my W3C role’s hat put down:-)

---
Ivan Herman