Re: html for scholarly communication: RASH, Scholarly HTML or Dokieli?

This is a hard problem. We need novel imaginative solutions.

Thousands of committed expert people have built systems for document
structure. As an example TEI (mainly digital humanities) - which
exemplifies the semantics-presentation division - has 500 tags/concepts (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_Encoding_Initiative ) . If we are to
take a humanities-based approach then we cannot ignore this history.
Similarly JATS (originally biomedical)  has ca 250 tags (at least that is
my current count in downloading actual JATS). Add in computer science,
geoscience, law, theses, grants, and much else and we have 1000 tags.

So what do we want SH-CG for? My requirement is simple to state. There are
(my own figures from analysing CrossRef over several months) ca 7000
"articles" published a day from 500 publishers and "most" have "HTML".

So what I want is to be able to read this into my machine without having to
have 200+ formats and 200+ semantics. I don't expect the semantics to cover
all nuances of a discipline (I and Henry developed Chemical Markup Language
and even that doesn't capture everything chemists want to publish). So I'd
settle for something with about 3-4 div-types

HTML
  HEAD - contains metadata - bibliographic, authors, titles, funders,
acknowledgements, etc. This is a solved problem
  BODY -
    DIV class="abstract/summary" // this seems to be fairly universally
required
    DIV class="maintext" - the core of the article
    DIV class="assets" - figures, tables, schemes
  FOOT:
     DIV class="references" (or citations)
     DIV class="publisher" - all the stuff that a publisher considers
important and I want to strip out
     DIV class="supplemental" - many things "attached" to the article and
published in paralllel - data sets

and then we can add finer markup which can by used of ignored as the
readers wishes.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics