Re: html for scholarly communication: RASH, Scholarly HTML or Dokieli?

(copying some of my erstwhile collaborators and originators of
"ScholarlyHTML" 6 years ago.)

For starters I am happy to lend my efforts to whatever emerges from this.

When proposing ScholarlyHTML in 2011 (in the Panton Arms pub in Cambridge)
we were conscious that HTML should be used as a simple, powerful,
well-supported basis for scholarly publications (not specifically STEM, but
probably with a tendency towards it). NLM-DTD (JATS XML as it now is) is
too complex for the average scientist and is aimed at publishers,
repository managers, archivers, etc.). The group included
 * Brian McMahon from IUCr (who have developed the best semantic scientific
publishing engine anywhere - CIF - in the world for data-rich science). CIF
works, is used and is even loved by many. CIF is fairly isomorphous with
HTML - i.e. there can be lossless machine interchange.
 * Peter (PT) Sefton , who in Univ Southern Queensland (USQ) developed ICE
- the best scholarly authoring tool which was actually used and loved by
practising academics
 * Henry Rzepa and PMR, who have developed XML for chemistry (Chemical
Markup Language) and also ran the development mailing list (XML-DEV) which
the W3C process used for 3 years.
 * Martin Fenner who popularised new approaches to scientific publications.

A history (by Martin) can be found here:
http://blogs.plos.org/mfenner/2011/03/19/a-very-brief-history-of-scholarly-html/

Our vision in 2011 was that properly used HTML was sufficient and valuable
for scholarly publications. SHTML2011 was a first pass at that. It now
seems we have a larger critical mass.

Many positive things have happened in the last few years:
* browsers are more conformant
* CSS and SVG are accepted
* RDFa, and other forms of semantic documents are better supported (e.g.
SPARQL).
* there are many more open source tools.

So technically we can do more or less whatever we want with relatively
little effort and we can show useful demos with the latest tools in JS,
etc. We just need to do it.

The key points for me are:
* do not try to be all-inclusive (JATS has 250 tags - a problem that all
provider-centered schemas have - TEI is probably similar).
* allow for fluidity and evolution. Do not prescribe what cannot be done -
if it's useful people will find a way of supporting it.
* make it accessible to machines. Understanding the relations in a 250-tag
set is impossible for anyone, so use as little as possible, Use standard
HTML and the key sectioning tags for scholarship.
* get it out there .

Personally I don't mind what it's called.

Now what I want :-)

I want to read the whole of the scholarly literature (10,000 articles/day)
in HTML and extract the facts. I want something where my machines can read
an HTML from a publisher and make sense of it. FWIW I already do this, but
the publishers "HTML" is so awful that you would scream.  90% of a
downloaded HTML is publisher cruft - "why publisher X is so wonderful",
"see us on Facebook", "papers you might like to read (all published by
us)", etc. Much of it is Javascript of unknown purpose.

So in our AMI stack we throw away as much as possible - often 90%. Even
then it's awful, We have
div-for-everything <div class=p>, <div class="table"> , non-unicode stuff
etc. and t's actually quite difficult to find offline parsers.

So I just want standard HTML, with a small set of scholarly tags...
AND
... a community of practice so I know that in a year or two my work won't
be wasted.

Hope that helps.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics