Re: JATS (was: Early draft is up)

On 21 March 2016 at 14:15, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:
> My current thinking is that when you process an SH document, you
> actually get two tree. One is the article tree, that is basically little
> more than title/hunks/sections with sections containing that
> recursively. The other is a metadata tree, which is basically the
> JSON-LD tree rooted at the article resource (in JSON-LD terms, the graph
> of the article is framed into the article resource).
>
> Both trees have identifiers that make it possible (even relatively easy)
> to merge them back together. What we do is that we store both separately
> (largely so that the metadata can be edited and enriched on its own) and
> then we have a React component that just merges them back together.

I agree (in JATS the separation is into <front> and <body> elements).

The "Paper Now" tool I made works a similar way: the metadata is all
in a YAML file[1], and the sections, figures, etc are all entirely
separate[2]. When they're combined, though, the whole graph can be
extracted[3].

[1] https://github.com/PeerJ/paper-now/blob/gh-pages/_data/article.yml
[2] https://github.com/PeerJ/paper-now/tree/gh-pages/_sections
[3] https://developers.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool?url=https%253A%252F%252Fpeerj.github.io%252Fpaper-now%252F