Re: Some Design Principles

> On 02 Dec 2015, at 01:56, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:
>
> I think that there are at least two primary areas in which these
> constraints influence SH:
>
>  — Styling: the format needs to have sufficient markup backbone that
> it can be styled for both online and print PDFs (assuming reasonably
> recent tooling). I think that's largely achievable with today's tools.

This is part of why we at Vivliostyle are involved. While I agree it's mostly achievable with todays tools and standard CSS, the devil is in the details, and there are a few crucial details of styling scholarly articles that are not yet fully solved CSS problems.

For some, I don't expect any impact on the markup. Example:
- repeating table headers when a (large) table is broken across pages (no spec for that yet)
- Character-based alignment in a table column (there's a spec, but it's not stable)
- Floated figures floated in the column or the page, not just inline (there's a spec, but it's not stable).

For others, it may have an impact on the markup. Examples:
- Footnotes
- Simple (raw text) Running headers and footers
- Running headers and footers with markup in them

There are proposals in the CSS world to solve these as well, but they are not stable, and these typically do impact how you markup your document.

I don't think it will be this CG's job to solve these problems, but we will need to keep them in mind when deciding on how we mark things up. Also, having a good concentration of people for how these problems will be relevant, we may be a good place to gather use cases and requirements to inform the work of the CSSWG.

 - Florian