Re: elements for basic academic articles

Hi Johannes,

thanks for sharing that list, it is useful. I'm just adding some parts
that we've seen needed below (not necessarily exhaustive). The list we
have comes from encoding actual articles into SH.

On 25/11/2015 11:51 , Johannes Wilm wrote:
> **Block level elements for textual contents**
>
> - P
> - H1-H3
> - Blockquote
> - Code
> - UL/OL

Point of terminology: I got tired of saying the many variations on
"block content", "blocks such as paragraphs and tables", or "blocks but
of text not, like, sections and stuff". Instead I minted "hunks", which
means exactly: the blockish things inside sections, that aren't the title.

We've found a need for pretty much arbitrary header depth, not just
beyond h3 but in cases beyond h6. For that we use h6 with aria-level set
to the real depth.

Things like code (and images, tables, block equations) we all handle as
figures (even if without a figcaption, which is fine). Beyond
consistently making them captionable, this also provides nice common
hooks for styling (and as a bonus it provides a container inside of
which to set up horizontal scrolling on small screens, which all of
these types can need).

> **Inline text elements**
>
> - Links (standard HTML links)
> - Footnotes (Have to be displayed off to the side or below the text, and
> need to be able to contain all the things that body elements can contain)

I've listed a few more: http://scholarly.vernacular.io/#inline-elements.
Of those, the most notable are the ones that enable internationalisation
(ruby and friends), inline math or code, and simply making it possible
to hang semantics off an added span.

--
• Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/ - @robinberjon
• http://science.ai/ — intelligent science publishing