Re: representing public schools

For the grade levels, if we want to preserve more semantics, we can create
a few new classes (like Schema.org has for days of week)
- one new property gradeOfferred
- one new class called Grade
- one instance per grade level
- a school references the grades offered using the gradeOfferred property
and the grade instances

@prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
@prefix s: <https://schema.org/> .

s:Grade a rdfs:Class ;
rdfs:label "Grade" ;
rdfs:comment "The grade in a school context, e.g. K or First Grade" .

s:Grade_PK a s:Grade ;
rdfs:label "Pre-K" ;
rdfs:comment "Grade Pre-K" .

s:Grade_K a s:Grade ;
rdfs:label "K" ;
rdfs:label "0K" ;
rdfs:label "Kindergarten" ;
rdfs:comment "Grade K" .

s:Grade_1 a s:Grade ;
rdfs:label "First Grade" ;
rdfs:label "01" ;
rdfs:comment "First Grade in a school setting" .

s:Grade_2 a s:Grade ;
rdfs:label "Second Grade" ;
rdfs:label "02" ;
rdfs:comment "Second Grade in a school setting" .

s:gradeOfferred a rdf:Property ;
rdfs:label "gradeOfferred" ;
rdfs:comment "The grade offered by this school" ;
s:contributor <https://schema.org/docs/collab/GoodRelationsTerms> ;
s:domainIncludes s:School ;
s:rangeIncludes s:Grade .

<https://www.schools.nyc.gov/schools/M185>
a s:School ;
s:gradeOfferred s:Grade_PK, s:Grade_1 .

There might be exiting ontologies we could reuse instead of reinventing the
wheel.

Arnaud

--
Arnaud Sahuguet