Re: Permit external JSON-LD files?

As far as known there currently are no search engines (or any other large
consumers) which support the use of the link rel="alternate" http-header
nor do they support any form of structured data that isn't included on a
web page itself.

As for the <link rel="alternate"> html element, I've asked Gregg kellogg
about this in the past and he indicated this isn't supported by design as
it would force parsers to be able to parse html.