Re: Translations for schema.org?

Yes thanks for raising this.

There are a few interconnected aspects to this:

*The Schema.org UI*
This could be made multilingual - menu items, labels, home page text, etc.
Could add a language selector

*Documentation*
About page, FAQs, Getting Started, Style Guide, Developers, Extensions
(Hotels, Auto, etc.), etc.
Translated versions could be produced.

*Term Definitions*
As Adolfo noted, language tagged versions of the rdfs:comment value could
provided the translations needed.
Also, although the term labels should remain English as they map to the
term URI value, potentially language specific qualifiers for common terms
could be added.

There a few ways the above could be achieved technically but all require
either development and/or translation efforts.

The UI capability should be achievable, translations of labels a one off
task per language.  Documentation again a one off task per language - I do
share Dan’s concerns about future maintainability.

Language tagged definitions (rdfs:comment) for terms in principle is a
simplest task.  However, we currently have approximately 2.3k terms that
potentially need translations, for each language.  We could start with
‘common terms’ but where do with draw the line between common and uncommon?

I think it would be great if we could move forward on this.  However, even
when the site and the infrastructure behind it has been enabled to
facilitate this, there will be needed significant efforts from those
enthusiastic to see a version of Schema.org documentation in their language
of choice.

One off the wall thought - is something like Google Translate good enough
now to provided ‘acceptable’ translations in the context of Schema.org term
definitions to provided at least a start?

~Richard.

--
Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate