Re: creator and author syntax question

I believe this is because Google (alongside many others) hasn't much
support for the Role construction. In retrospect I believe it was too
general - providing a cross-domain modeling structure as well as vocabulary
to describe contributor roles, it ended up not doing either very well. The
markup probably looks OK for "author" because it isn't a property being
checked for, since "creator" is generally the more widely adopted term. I
started a thread on Twitter earlier this week exploring ways of improving
our (Schema.org's) coverage of contributor roles, including connection to
related initiatives like https://www.niso.org/standards-committees/credit
and others. https://twitter.com/danbri/status/1361197025065320449

Dan