creator and author syntax question

From: Lulin Song <song@ldeo.columbia.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 15:16:07 -0500
To: "public-schemaorg@w3.org" <public-schemaorg@w3.org>
Hi schema.org,

I am working on JSON-LD content for 'Dataset' type. The dataset has
multiple authors. I used Google Rich Results Test Tool.
https://search.google.com/test/rich-results?utm_campaign=sdtt&utm_medium=message

The following 'author' syntax is correct according the test tool. But if
I replaced 'author' with 'creator', the tool said 'Invalid object type
for field "creator". I read through schema.org documents, it seems both
should work. Can someone explain why it failed on 'creator'?

"author": [
{
"@type": "Role", "roleName": "Lead Author",
"author": [