scholarlyArticle no DOI

From: Hugh Paterson III <sil.linguist@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 16:33:30 +0200
To: public-schemaorg@w3c.org
Greetings,

I'm wondering why there is no DOI "attribute" listed under
scholarlyArticle. DOI resolvers are fairly important and mainstream, with
the Datacite API one can generally get the publication metadata of most
currently published articles.

It seems that editEIDR  solves the same kind of identification function, so
it seems that someone has suggested that this kind of functionality is
useful (which I agree it is). I'm wondering if there is any discussion for
adding DOI or abstracting to an "attribute" which would allow for the use
of Handles, URN's ARK's, DOI's, LSIDs etc.

Otherwise, how are people choosing to encode DOI's?

all the best,
- Hugh

for specifics on terms:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_object_identifier