Re: Version Control

On 11 April 2017 at 18:46, Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com> wrote:
> How is version control handled?

We have numbered releases (with occasional minor hot fixes in between)
- see http://schema.org/docs/releases.html. For fine-grained detail
there are github commit IDs. If you want a document to indicate a
dated release that it uses, you can use
http://schema.org/schemaVersion . At Github we could (and will) make
better use of tags for releases etc.

Dan

p.s. Regarding signing, in the foaf project ~15 years ago (and
somewhere in http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-dev/ I
guess) we used to carefully GPG sign the schema/spec with each
release, but it never really found much use so we stopped doing it.
Even when you fix some things rigidly with crypto, there are always
squishy human aspects where you'll find semantic drift e.g. reference
by description ("President Bush") or definitions whose community
understanding shifts even if the formal definition text doesn't (e.g.
schoolHomepage, which evokes a slightly different idea amongst EN-US
vs EN-UK speakers).