Re: Open intervals for temporalCoverage ?

From: Richard Wallis <richard.wallis@dataliberate.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 11:14:37 +0100
To: Thomas Francart <thomas.francart@sparna.fr>
As the documentation for temporalCoverage
<http://schema.org/temporalCoverage> states, it expects ISO 8601
time interval format <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Time_intervals>,
so the question lies there.

Your understanding I believe is correct, that the current version of the
standard ( *ISO 8601:2000* ) does not support open ended time intervals.

In Dublin Core, which bases its formats on ISO 8601,  open ended intervals
are supported <http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/dcmi/date-dccd-odrf/> but
explicitly state “This representation of an *open date range* is *not*
compatible
with the representation of a time-interval defined by ISO8601:2000.”

This has been the subject of a short
https://github.com/project-open-data/project-open-data.github.io/issues/415.
I support their conclusion that an open ended time period would be
currently best represented by the appropriate use [or non-use] of
schema:startDate and schema:endDate.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate