Re: Health-Lifesci extension question

so,

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=diet+food+drinks&tbm=shop

Results show the top food results relating to health often relates to
pet-care.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=diet+meal&tbm=shop  isnt much better.

https://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=shop&q=dietary+supplements  shows
mostly pills (note the use of the term 'dietary supplements')

https://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=shop&q=diet+lifestyle yields books

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=diet+lifestyle&tbm=isch yields a bunch
of images saying "not a diet, its a lifestyle"

and i haven't seen a diet cola bottle yet.

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 at 11:17 Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tim,
>
> No one is trying to change the definition that we currently have in
> Schema.org
>
> In the world there are generally 2 generally used definitions of Diet.
>
> 1. That typically spoken about by a Biologist. (biological needs of a
> lifeform)

2. That typically spoken about by a Nutritionist.  (Lifestyle or Restricted

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q2138622

> Schema.org has # 2 (well, mostly aligned with # 2)

The namespace is health-lifesci.schema.org

Wikidata.org has # 1 (currently, but were the referenced Wikipedia article
> meaders back and forth between # 1 and # 2...but no matter, the Wikidata
> topic is firmly in the realm of # 1 with its current description)
>
> The two classes are not equivalent but where Dan and others are saying #2
> could be thought of as a subclass of #1.

IMHO the use of 'diet' in search has an array of semantics.  I responded
due to the implications the use of a term such as 'diet' may relate to
medical conditions (ie: in food-ingredients and menu related lists) so
people can buy a food that is compatible with those intending to consume
it.

Research shows; the term 'diet' is also used for selling pet-food, protein
shakes, books, diabetes information sessions, etc.  The current wikidata
term (which doesn't really fit) speaks more of (1) as well pointed out.
 nutrician seems to be a better fit for the current usage of 'diet' however
the schema hierarchy of defining the health-usage of the term 'diet' under
'lifestyleModification' and thereafter is defined as a subclass of
http://health-lifesci.schema.org/LifestyleModification that has a
description of "A process of care involving exercise, changes to diet,
fitness routines, and other lifestyle changes aimed at improving a health
condition." which as a class appears to relate to
http://health-lifesci.schema.org/MedicalEntity - which is a term 'loosely
coupled' with other Agents such as 'fitness instructor' of 'chef', who with
the best of intentions - may be an expert of an element.

> I'm OK with that and now just need to get Wikidata 'external subclass'
> figured out.
> I've posited the question to them on their mailing list and awaiting a
> response.

I think dan also noted not to worry to much about it, and i understand your
trying to map wikidata.  So, perhaps simply - duly noted for now?

Diet has an array of very important medical uses that relate specifically
to search.  Diet can also be used when searching for dog-food.  Search
currently appears to benefit from the use of the term diet for dog-food,
protein powders, and books.