From: Aaron Bradley [mailto:aaranged@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 5:27 PM
To: Richard Wallis <richard.wallis@dataliberate.com>
Subject: Re: publisher field for Blogposts and websites

"Broadening out the question of the possibility of a publisher being a Person or an Organization, to any CreativeWork, that does in this age of self-publishing have something [i]n its favour."

+1 to this.  The requirements of specific data consumers entirely aside, one more than one occasion having Organization as the sole expected type has either struck me as limiting, or has been limiting.  To cite the most obvious use case, the publisher of a single-author blog is almost always the Person who is that single author, and it's limiting not to be able to declare that without either reverting to a text string or using an unexpected type.

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 6:43 AM, Richard Wallis <richard.wallis@dataliberate.com <mailto:richard.wallis@dataliberate.com> > wrote:

>From a Schema.org vocabulary point of view no properties are deemed to be required.

In the case of the Google SDTT complaining about missing fields it is advising you on their requirements for displaying information about organisations (e.g.. asking for a logo) etc. Questions regarding the needs should be addressed to their developer mailing lists.

This list is inly for discussions regarding the vocabulary itself.

In the particular circumstance you describe, I would probably not have applied a publisher to individual BlogPostings for which an author would suffice.  However I would have associated each post as being ‘partOf’ a Blog which optionally would have a ‘publisher’ reference.

Broadening out the question of the possibility of a publisher being a Person or an Organization, to any CreativeWork, that does in this age of self-publishing have something n its favour.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis

Founder, Data Liberate

http://dataliberate.com