Re: Schema usage and licensing

On 8 February 2016 at 10:31, Tati Chevron <tati@gotati.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could somebody clarify exactly how the licensing agreement described at
> schema.org is supposed to apply to websites making use of this standard?
>
> The schema.org terms of service note that, [the rights are],
> "...licensed to third parties under the Creative Commons
> Attribution-ShareAlike License (version 3.0)".
>
> I assume that the intent is to allow unrestricted usage of valid schema
> markup, but protect the published standard.
>
> However, my understanding is that a strict interpretation of this
> licensing requirement would:
>
> 1. Require any website making use of the schema vocabulary to include an
> attribution to schema.org.

To the best of my knowledge no party involved in the project has ever
taken such a strict interpretation. However it is in the nature of
schema.org markup that uses of it naturally include URLs such as
http://schema.org/ which would already address such a requirement.

> 2. Cause the content of any website making use of the published schema
> vocabulary to fall under the same license.

Similarly, I don't believe anyone reads things that way.

Dan