RE: W3C Automotive Ontology Community Group

Martin,

It is very encouraging to see this initiative to create a "standard" or
reference ontology to address a specific domain of wide interest. Hopefully,
the Automotive Ontology will become a template for standard ontologies
addressing other domains of interest. If so, consideration might be given to
including a limited upper ontology to address the concepts in the Automotive
Ontology that are likely to be common concepts employed by many other
domains of interest, such as time, space, geography, etc. This would allow
future domain ontologies to more smoothly interact with the Automotive
Ontology. Also, consideration might be given to including a "mid level"
component to the Automotive Ontology that might be called the Vehicle
Ontology. This would address the concepts that are universal to all vehicles
and would facilitate the future development of related ontologies, such as
the Motorcycle Ontology, Boat Ontology, Airplane Ontology, etc. Another
suggestion is to give significant upfront consideration to the business
model for the Automotive Ontology. Rather that addressing this effort as
another research initiative within the Semantic Web community, approach it
as a business process where the investment in the development of the
Automotive Ontology is directly related to the potential for increased
profit within the automobile user community. This will provide incentive for
the large and wealthy automotive industry to support the development,
maintenance and acceptance of the Automotive Ontology.

Best of luck,

John Flynn
http://semanticsimulations.com