Re: An initial proposal for bib.schema.org

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:46:12PM +0000, Wallis,Richard wrote:
> Hi Thad,
>
> 1. Are some of those Types on the 1st pass or have been iterated over now ?  I haven't been following you ugys much, been away for a bit...
>

> This is the first time these particular proposals have been put in front of this group.  However the first grouping have been previously been seen as part of BibliGraph.net<http://BibliGraph.net>  and some of them, especially the translation ones, are being used in environments such as viaf.org<http://viaf.org>.  The comic proposals have previously been discussed on public-vocabs list.

The Comics proposal that was last discussed in very late 2013 was
http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Periodicals_and_Comics_synthesis

For comics in particular, the "bib" extension liberates us from some of the
restraints that trying to merge into schema.org core brings to the table--for
example, "colorist" being too general a term because someone at some point
might want to dive deeply into hair-related services. So building on everything
that we've learned since late 2013, and weaving in some very new core classes
such as VisualArtwork into the mix as well as the Periodical classes and
properties that made it in earlier, I rapidly iterated over the comics portion
of the proposal and ensured that it would stand up if put to the test of the
Grand Comics Database.

One major difference is the emergence of the CoverArt class and its child,
ComicCoverArt, now that we can inherit from VisualArtwork and ComicStory, which
fulfills the model that Peter and Henry proposed based on the Grand Comics
Database design (every comic issue has at least two "stories": the cover,
and the interior story).

So http://sdo-bib.appspot.com/ComicIssue?ext=bib has a pretty good example down
at the bottom, and as I recently became an editor in the GCD with the addition
of the http://www.comics.org/issue/1339985/ index entry, I'm satisfied that we
have the core elements covered in a way that also opens up nice opportunities
for other CreativeWork entities (such as CoverArt for MusicAlbums, etc).

I also love that the GraphicNovel book format type, in conjunction with
hasPart, enables us to easily describe bound volumes of comic issues, as
well as standalone graphic novels, in a very sensible way.