Re: Help needed: EPUB 3.01 revision referencing a11y metadata spec

Graham et al:

I had asked about the possibility of pointing bookFormatType at an external
enumeration based on ONIX last month (
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2013Jul/0141.html). It is
unfortunate that that didn't get a response at the time, but I continue to
believe there would be great value to having ONIX available and published
as a linked data vocabulary in general. Certainly this is just one concrete
example of where it could help. If you would like some help in publishing
the ONIX spreadsheets as a linked data vocabulary I could put some hours
into that.

In general I sympathize with Shlomo's point of vote that rushing to a
solution to meet EPUB's deadline may be counter productive in the long run,
unless there are clear & clean solutions.

I agree with Richard, however, that we should try to keep the discussion on
Schema BibEx as much as possible.

A quick thought on isAdaptationOf vs hasAdaptation; I believe "has"
properties tend to be Booleans in schema.org, whereas this one is a URL;
that's a little jarring. It would also be easier for users of the
vocabulary if the attributes were collated together in the documention as
"adaptedFrom" and "adaptedBy". Basing the relationship on the trailing
preposition should be a clearer, more natural approach than the current
proposal.

Dan

On Sep 1, 2013 5:44 AM, "Graham Bell" <graham@editeur.org> wrote:

> Shlomo
>
> Worth noting that EPUB 3.0 already has facilities for including ONIX data
within the e-pub package, and ONIX has had the ability to carry detailed
accessibility information for a couple of years now, alongside the
bibliographic and trade-related information with which you may be familiar
(see Issue 15 here for the original introduction). The various attributes
in ONIX were designed with the help of the DAISY Consortium and other
accessibility groups, with the aim of providing the practical information a
print-impaired reader might require at the point of purchase or access.

> Now I don't claim that ONIX is the complete answer here, and ONIX has a
wider function because it is used separate from the content document as
well as embedded within the content document. But we should try to ensure
that the semantics of any accessibility information are interoperable.

> Graham
>

> Graham Bell
> EDItEUR
>
> Tel: +44 20 7503 6418
>
> EDItEUR Limited is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England
no 2994705. Registered Office: United House, North Road, London N7 9DP,
UK. Website: http://www.editeur.org

> On 1 Sep 2013, at 08:24, Shlomo Sanders wrote:
>
>> Getting Accessibility into the spec would be more than great.
>> If not planned for in advance this causes unnecessary dev work
afterwards when it needs to be fixed.

>> Thanks,
>> Shlomo
>>
>> Experience the all-new, singing and dancing interactive Primo brochure

largePrint, ChemML...) isAdaptationOf (URL) hasAdaptation (URL)

>> I think it would be worth working with this group *quickly* to see if
there's anything major that we need that isn't there at this time. We
should assume that we could add other types later.

>> kc

(IDPF)'s working group for inclusion in the EPUB 3.01 revision that is
quickly working towards ISO approval as a Technical Specification.

>> It would be terrific if this could reach a status in the next few weeks
to make it into this spec. EPUB 3 references HTML5 and other specifications
that are not full W3C recommendations, but a status of accepted public
draft or better is necessary for inclusion in the spec.

>> If somehow we could get the accessibility metadata spec to this state, I
would appreciate it.

>>> From my POV, having this type of metadata in the package file for each
>>>
>>> EPUB
>>
>> 3 publication  would go a long, long way in promoting digital
publications that are accessible to persons with disabilities.

>> I have copied Gerardo and Matt with this request, who are in a better
position to answer technical questions.

>> Best
>> George
>>

>> George Kerscher Ph.D.
>> -In our Information Age, access to information is a fundamental human
right.
>> Secretary General, DAISY Consortium
>> http://www.daisy.org
>> Senior Officer, Accessible Technology Learning Ally originally Recording
For the Blind & Dyslexic http://www.learningally.org President,
International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF) http://www.idpf.org Member of
the National Museum and Library Services  Board (IMLS)
http://www.imls.govChair Steering Council Web Accessibility Initiative
(WAI), a division of
the W3C http://www.w3c.org/wai