Re: Help needed: EPUB 3.01 revision referencing a11y metadata spec

Shlomo

Worth noting that EPUB 3.0 already has facilities for including ONIX data within the e-pub package, and ONIX has had the ability to carry detailed accessibility information for a couple of years now, alongside the bibliographic and trade-related information with which you may be familiar (see Issue 15 here<http://www.editeur.org/14/Code-Lists/#Code%20lists%20issue%20latest> for the original introduction). The various attributes in ONIX were designed with the help of the DAISY Consortium and other accessibility groups, with the aim of providing the practical information a print-impaired reader might require at the point of purchase or access.

Now I don't claim that ONIX is the complete answer here, and ONIX has a wider function because it is used separate from the content document as well as embedded within the content document. But we should try to ensure that the semantics of any accessibility information are interoperable.

Graham

Graham Bell
EDItEUR

Tel: +44 20 7503 6418