Re: Completing schema:article

On 11/1/13 8:04 AM, Dan Scott wrote:

> The range of http://schema.org/datePublished is
> http://schema.org/Date, which is an ISO 8601 date; "2013-11-01" or
> "2013-W40" or the like.

Yes, although of course ranges in schema are "suggestions". It would be
interesting to look at the actual use of this property and see what
percentage actually conform to ISO 8601. (My guess: not many, unless
it's just a year.) In any case, I don't think it makes sense to add a
new date property since one already exists. But maybe that's a more
philosophical question for the public-vocabs list.

Although, as you note below, things like "Summer, 1985" could also be
considered issues. I think we'll have to assume that some folks might
use one property, some might use the other.

>> I realize that some (many?) publication patterns are more complex than that,
>> but somehow we've managed with these few in most systems for a good long
>> time, and most people seem to have some understanding of what they mean. I
>> don't think we can take it one more level without creating great confusion.
>>
>> 2) I don't see a particular need for the intervening "issuance" level. Date,
>> volume and number should do it.
>
> I think that is and should be distinct from the purpose of an issue
> identifier which is more likely to be used in a citation. So if we go
> ahead and define schema:Issue, it could normally contain an
> issueVolume and issueNumber, but optionally could fall back to plain
> text (or schema:name?) like "Summer 2014" if we don't feel the need to
> provide an additional catch-all property.
>
>> 3) are you thinking that this the idea?
>>
>> <periodical (or some such term)
>> <scholarlyArticle>
>>     <author>
>>     <name>
>>     <Journal>
>>        <name>
>>        <issn>
>>        <publishedDate>
>>        <volume>
>>        <number>
>>     <pages>
>>
>> Or would the outer wrapper be the journal (or whatever we call it), with the
>> article within that? (That makes sense to me, but is generally the opposite
>> of citation formats and displays.)
>
> There are at least two different use cases. One use case is "here's
> everything we know about <Time magazine> or <Laurentian University
> student newspaper>", listing all of the issues and articles contained
> in those issues and linking to the articles where feasible. I can
> imagine search engines and discovery layers greedily gobbling that up.

Isn't this the area of "holdings" that we deferred because we all mostly
hate the idea of dealing with serials? AFAIK, the only source of
"everything we know about..." would be library data. (I believe that
CONSER has a database of publication patterns for different journals,
but I don't know if it includes a listing of all of the known
volumes/issues.)

> And then the second use case is the citation. As the range of
> schema:citation is Text or CreativeWork, in the case that someone can
> generate structured data for their citations, yes, your example would
> be realistic (although thanks to the twistiness of different citation
> formats, there may be a heck of a lot of references to various item
> IDs from individual properties in play - or better, perhaps, an
> embedded JSON-LD object that takes a cleaner structured approach and
> avoids the MLA vs APA vs every other kind of citation format war).

I believe that Shlomo is interested in the kind of citation that appears
in PRIMO or other vendor discovery layers. So the use case for this
markup is something like:

  Title: Spearman’s Law of Diminishing Returns and national ability