Re: Candidates for the CreativeWork property names vote off

The thing is, there is no way to prevent this from happening "in the
wild" - different people will have different interpretations depending
on what they have available to them. This is why the "abstract ->
concrete" seems fragile to me. Someone will have two editions of Moby
Dick and will want to connect them... while we can define a property for
abstract <-> concrete, I doubt if we can make it clear how it is to be
used. The current definition does not explicitly limit the usage to an
abstract and a concrete thing. In part this is because of the way that
CW has been defined -- it embodies the concrete. Some usages may only
include what librarians would call "Work" properties, but there's
nothing inherent in CW that would clearly separate an abstract Work from
a published book. Any combination of properties is allowed, so you could
have author/title/datePublished -- and wonder what exactly that
represents. How do we define "abstraction" within CW?

I think the problem here is CW and trying to use it for both abstract
and concrete. If we have to have an abstraction in our metadata, then we
may need to define one. Personally, I think it's early days to be trying
to shoehorn this concept into schema.org, and I don't think it fits with
what is already there. Perhaps this is a library-specific concept and we
should use a library data property to make this distinction.

kc

--
Karen Coyle