Re: Kill the Record! (Was: BIBFRAME and schema.org)

Yes, Jeff, I realize that. I had rather hoped for a link that you had
found useful for books, like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Books_by_type

Naturally, this is a mish-mosh of physical types (paperback), product
types (mass-market paperback), genres (airport novel) and topics (book
size). I don't know if there is a better approach within WP.

While it is great that these Wikipedia pages exist, I think before using
them we should look beyond their titles to the content of the pages to
make sure that WP and our metadata are talking about the same thing. I'm
not convinced, having looked at some of the pages, that WP shares the
conceptual model that we'll find in our data. With that as a starting
point, we then need to develop some best practices for library data,
knowing that non-library data will take its own direction.

I would like to hear from anyone in the publishing community about their
needs for specification of product types. I assume that the preferred
list would original in ONIX.

kc

--
Karen Coyle