Re: question about medical code

Hi Jeff, et al.,

I'm inclined to agree with Karen here. I think a lot of libraries are
more trying to solve practical, near-term problems with schema.org and
may not be in a position to adopt the kinds of "proper linked data"
practices that we'd want in an ideal world. Setting aside your "if
they have access to the HTML production", which is not usually the
case with the current generation of ILS systems, even if folks did, we
have a tendency to set a pretty high barrier for that. Many of the
libraries I talk to are frankly scared of the prospect of minting
"Cool URIs". There's so many rules, and the semweb community can be
rather pedantic about them.

People are scared of the notion that Cool URIs never change (really, a
redirect isn't a fair solution to that problem?) They're set in stone
for how long? The rhetoric makes people feel like they have to commit
to a URI for quite longer than we've even had a Web. Plus, there's all
the details of hash URIs vs. slash URIs with proper redirects between
things & pages that describe them. And I could go on. And on.

But the point is that each of these requirements serves as a barrier
to libraries making their data available in a more machine usable form
than it exists now. Do we really want to say that if you're not in a
position to create clean, cruft-free, properly-range-14-compliant URIs
for everything you might wish to describe than we actually don't want
your structured data at all?

What I see as the promise of schema.org is it's potential to *lower*
the bar for publishing the data folks have, using the systems they
have available.

Sorry for the rant, but I worry that we're going to (again) shoot
ourselves in the foot by putting up roadblocks that very few in our
profession (and very few web developers *outside* of libraries) have
the time or energy to surmount.

Thanks,
-Corey