RE: prevalence of schema.org/Book

Karen,

I believe that extension tokens added to Schema.org classes are
interpreted as subclasses rather than as properties. It's possible they
could deduce that these are intended to be properties in that class
domain from the usage as such, but I haven't seen them consider the
possibility. I suspect it will be GIGO, but maybe I missed it. Their
advice is to have properties extend other properties like
http://schema.org/creator/architect. Unlike schema:Thing, though, there
is no top property.

Schema.org does have an OWL ontology, so it should be possible to see
how they've justified the same property in multiple classes.

http://www.schema.org/docs/datamodel.html

Assuming they take OWL seriously, they would infer new types for the
entity if properties were mixed and matched. If example, if the claimed
type is schema:Book and somebody used the schema:sku property, they
could infer it is also a schema:Product.

Jeff

Commons