From: Adrian Pohl [mailto:pohl@hbz-nrw.de]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 15:56
To: public-schemabibex@w3.org
Subject: Re: Some Draft SchemaBibEx Proposals

Having another look around schema.org; I noticed that something very similar to Richard's identifier proposal already exists in the health/medical extensions to schema.org. [1] It is used for expressing the medical code for an entity in microdata. Examples can be found at [2], [3] and [4]. I paste part of [4] into the mail:

      <!-- Note: use of itemid is not mandatory, but recommended when an       external enumeration is available -->

Some of Richard's proposed properties can be translated to this approach:

name --> code
identifier --> code
inStandard --> codingSystem

Of course, this couldn't be used out of the box and the naming ('code' vs. 'identifier') isn't the same. But, generally  I don't think that there is a significant difference between a code for a disease or a drug and an identifier for a CreativeWork. I assume, it would be a good approach to pick up the medical approach and extend it to other domains than to come up with a new proposal.

(I also put this onto the wiki page at [5].)

All the best
Adrian

[1] Documentation: http://schema.org/docs/meddocs.html

[2] http://schema.org/MedicalCondition