Re: Three steps

Richard,

It seems to me that Schema.org is already relaxed about these kinds of
problems. The value of the author property is _expected_ to be a Person or
Organization. Consuming applications on the other hand should expect to get
imperfect data, though. Even the Schema.org documentation for a book uses a
relative URL from the href to refer to the author. Here's a snippet:

  by <a itemprop="author" href="/author/jd_salinger.html">J.D. Salinger</a>

But maybe this is a bug?

As a consuming application I would also expect to see something like this
where a string is used:

  by <span itemprop="author">J.D. Salinger</span>

But if you are an implementer, read the documentation, and all you have is
an author name as a string, there is nothing keeping you from being more
exact with that and doing something like the following. This is probably
what the recommendation ought to be if you only have an author name as a
string.

  by <span itemprop="author" itemscope
itemtype="http://schema.org/Person"><span
itemprop="name">J.D. Salinger</span></span>

If you also have some kind of identifier for the person, then you could add
an itemid:

  by <span itemprop="author" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Person"
itemid="http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50016589"><span
itemprop="name">J.D. Salinger</span></span>

So while recommendations to the community would be to be as exact as
possible there is no requirement that it be so strict.

Jason