Re: Three steps

On 11/28/12 4:09 AM, Richard Wallis wrote:

> Step 1.
> schema:Book->author is a property that requires a link to a Person or
> Organization – not a literal string.   Therefore example markup would
> require links to Person description either externally supplied or
> created locally on the fly.

I don't read it that way. The documentation says:

"Expected types vs text. When browsing the schema.org types, you will
notice that many properties have "expected types". This means that the
value of the property can itself be an embedded item (see section 1d:
embedded items). But this is not a requirement—it's fine to include just
regular text or a URL. In addition, whenever an expected type is
specified, it is also fine to embed an item that is a child type of the
expected type. For example, if the expected type is Place, it's also OK
to embed a LocalBusiness."

They give a book example:

   by <span itemprop="author">J.D. Salinger</a>
   Here is the book's <a itemprop="url"
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catcher_in_the_Rye">Wikipedia
page</a>.

I'm trying to imagine what that would look like if you included the
Person itemprop... it would be like their "embedded types" example:

   <h1 itemprop="name"&g;Avatar</h1>
   Director: <span itemprop="name">James Cameron</span> (born <span
itemprop="birthDate">August 16, 1954)</span>
itemprop="trailer">Trailer</a>

Using this, I come up with this "unverified" code:

   by
itemtype="http://schema.org/Person"><span itemprop="name">J.D.
   Here is the book's <a itemprop="url"
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catcher_in_the_Rye">Wikipedia
page</a>.

My nesting may not be valid, but I think that it's conceptually correct
- the <div> for author is of scope Person, and within Person you have
"name".

kc

--
Karen Coyle