Re: Itemprop for person

Richard, I think it's more than I am considering the "average library"
case. If we are suggesting that libraries mark up their data with
schema.org coding, then they are marking up THEIR DATA. Most libraries
do not have the ability of WorldCat/OCLC to write code that will, on the
fly, link their author name to VIAF. Many have no links from
bibliographic data to authority files at all. Some don't even have root
on their own ILS systems. We can't decide that libraries using
schema.org MUST do this or MUST do that.

I really think that this question about "real" persons and names of
persons is a red herring. It assumes knowledge that may not exist, and
that I'm not sure is even important for all use cases. Are we trying to
get users to the library resources? If so, then what makes most sense to
the user in the display is all that is needed, and hopefully that's the
name that is in the library catalog record.

Whatever we suggest has to work in a wide variety of situations. We
can't assume that everyone can program their data to become something else.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net