Fwd: Re: Audience for Schema Bib extension

Oops, didn't send to list. Sorry - kc

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Audience for Schema Bib extension
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 14:46:46 -0800
From: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
To: Dawson, Laura <Laura.Dawson@bowker.com>

I think at the moment we have no choice but to see search engines as our
current target. This doesn't rule out other uses. From the schema.org page:

  "On-page markup enables search engines to understand the information
on web pages and provide richer search results in order to make it
easier for users to find relevant information on the web. Markup can
also enable new tools and applications that make use of the structure."
http://schema.org

When I look at our use cases, most of them do not make reference to
search engine functionality. Perhaps that's a place where we could
start... by clarifying for each use case what search/display function it
serves. I have proposed one search engine-related use case [1] that is
partially covered on the use case wiki page. Another option would be to
look at the non-library use cases and seek analogous ones that would
involve library materials. For example, the medical community has
created documentation to explain their approach to schema.org [2]
mark-up and how they think it will help users. We probably need a
similar statement to explain WHY library-related metadata is relevant to
schema.org goals.

kc

[1] http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2012/09/rich-snippets.html
[2] http://schema.org/docs/meddocs.html