Re: schema-course-extend: credential or award offered through course.

On 20/06/16 13:30, Stuart Sutton wrote:
> Dan, accreditation is not a particularly good choice. In many/most
> contexts of education (at least in the US), the focus of accreditation
> is institutions that seek accreditation to award credentials of some
> type. Thus authoritative Body "A" might accredit Body "B" to award
> Credential "C". See. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accreditation.

+1. In the UK accreditation is also as Stuart describes. See for example
http://www.bcs.org/category/5844

Phil

> Stuart
>
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 4:26 AM, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com
> <mailto:danbri@google.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 17 June 2016 at 17:32, Steve Midgley
>     <steve@learningtapestry.com <mailto:steve@learningtapestry.com>>
>     wrote:
>     > I agree that credential has many meanings across industries. I
>     agree we
>     > should try to find a term that unambiguously locates this
>     credential as
>     > educational. So, being a frequent simpleton, I'll suggest
>     > "educationalCredential"
>
>     This is an improvement.
>
>     A friend I was talking to over the weekend suggested using the related
>     term "accreditation". How does that sound to this community? To my
>     ears it has all the right associations, and is much less evocative of
>     lower-level technical notions of credential...
>
>     Dan

Phil Barker           @philbarker
LRMI, Cetis, ICBL     http://people.pjjk.net/phil
Heriot-Watt University

Ubuntu: http://xkcd.com/456/
   not so much an operating system as a learning opportunity.