Re: Enumerations: courseMode <CourseMode>, courseDigitalFormat <CourseDigitalFormat>, accessibilityPhysicalFeature <AccessibilityPhysicalFeature>

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:50 AM, Phil Barker <phil.barker@hw.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello Wes, everyone.
> Yes, enumerations are good when you can reach consensus on what they
> should be. The problem is agreeing on them across the scope of all people
> who might use schema.org. External enumerations [1] would help by
> reducing the scope of the required agreement.

+1 -- While reducing scope through external enumerations does not buy the
same level of interoperability as a commonly shared vocabulary, they would
serve in an area like this where agreement on terminology is unlikely given
the legitimate range of national and cultural differences.

> In general, I think the enumerations can be added later. I think we can
> propose a property and then, when we see how it is used, add in
> enumerations as required.

+1

> Taking the properties that you suggest would benefit from an enumeration
> in turn:
>
> AccessibilityPhysicalFeature
> - I think this is beyond our competence. Physical accessibility for events
> / locations needs to be considered in a much wider context than Courses and
> by people who understand the issues involved. I would rather leave it to a
> different working group. (This incidentally is what LRMI did for
> accessibility of creative works, and it worked out quite well.)

+1 -- Leaving this to the accessibility experts has played out well so far
in schema.org. If there is more to be done in this context, then I'd
suggest re-engagement of  the accessibility community. They remain active
here in the schema.org context (e.g., recent enhancements suggested by
Madeleine
Rothberg).