Re: Course, a new dawn?

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Developer, SleepingDog <
developer@sleepingdog.org.uk> wrote:

> I agree with (+1) Vicki and Dan that there is a requirement to model
> abstract courses that are not events; which in turn may have zero, one or
> more event-based offerings (possibly simultaneously, overlapping,
> sequentially) with properties whose distinctiveness will be important for
> learners.

In the current schema doc,
I went through and tried to find ~similar classes with already-defined
properties that already have domains and ranges.

So, for example,

iff Course < [..., Event>

Then course.name = event_00.name and course.url == event_00.url

> In markup terms, I expect this to be typically realized by a course
> details page which contains a set of (often descriptive) abstract course
> elements which apply to all offerings, and an optional set of offerings
> which have properties specific to them.

Why do I want to model this as classes (with mixins), in Python, and
generate and validate these schema (classes, properties, enumerations) from
said Classes with appropriate metadata.

How do I know that it works on the other side?

> I am not familiar enough with schema.org best practice to say how this
> should be achieved, and nor do I want to rule out a pattern that represents
> courses as abstraction-only or as creative works (like a learning object),
> or a one-off course which occurs as one event. But I can say that all of
> the three student record systems I have worked on extracting course
> information with, and all of the course modelling standards I have
> encountered have had a (parent) abstract course and a (child) concrete
> offering structure.

> Course < [CourseUnit, Event]
> CourseUnit < CreativeWork
> Course.syllabus = rdf:list(CourseUnit, CreativeWork)

With course subheadings as syllabus CourseUnit.name,
there does need to be traversal logic
that doesn't need to be different for Course and CourseUnit;
so Course.syllabus may be a sticking point if for sub-CourseUnits it's
CourseUnit.units.