Re: Course, a new dawn?

I agree with (+1) Vicki and Dan that there is a requirement to model abstract courses that are not events; which in turn may have zero, one or more event-based offerings (possibly simultaneously, overlapping, sequentially) with properties whose distinctiveness will be important for learners.

In markup terms, I expect this to be typically realized by a course details page which contains a set of (often descriptive) abstract course elements which apply to all offerings, and an optional set of offerings which have properties specific to them.

I am not familiar enough with schema.org best practice to say how this should be achieved, and nor do I want to rule out a pattern that represents courses as abstraction-only or as creative works (like a learning object), or a one-off course which occurs as one event. But I can say that all of the three student record systems I have worked on extracting course information with, and all of the course modelling standards I have encountered have had a (parent) abstract course and a (child) concrete offering structure.

Tavis Reddick