Re: Modelling Course and CourseOffering

On 10/02/2016 15:54, Richard Wallis wrote:

> On 10 February 2016 at 15:44, Phil Barker <phil.barker@hw.ac.uk
> <mailto:phil.barker@hw.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks Richard, I had wondered about the relationship between
>     CourseOffering and the existing Offer type. After thinking about
>     Alan Paulls query around cost, I think they might be different
>     things. A single CouseOffering might have several costs, depending
>     on the student. So they would be distinct instances of
>     schema.org:Offer but not of CourseOffering.
>

> Is that different to a an organization Offer[ing] the same service to
> different people at different costs dependant on eligibility -
> separate offers describing the cost of a haircut for children, adults,
> and retired persons?

No, it's not the existence of different Offers that I doubt, it's what
it being offered. I  think that was probably clearer the further you get
down the message

>     That would suggest to me that CourseOffering would have the
>     (repeatable) schema.org:offers property.
>

> If we do end up with what you describe I get the feeling we should be
> concerned about  the overuse of the words offer and offering and how
> it might impact understandability.

Indeed.

Phil

--
Phil Barker           @philbarker
LRMI, Cetis, ICBL     http://people.pjjk.net/phil

Workflow: http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/~philb/workflow/

-----
We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.