Re: Modelling Course and CourseOffering

On 10 February 2016 at 15:44, Phil Barker <phil.barker@hw.ac.uk> wrote:

> Thanks Richard, I had wondered about the relationship between
> CourseOffering and the existing Offer type. After thinking about Alan
> Paulls query around cost, I think they might be different things. A single
> CouseOffering might have several costs, depending on the student. So they
> would be distinct instances of schema.org:Offer but not of
> CourseOffering.

Is that different to a an organization Offer[ing] the same service to
different people at different costs dependant on eligibility - separate
offers describing the cost of a haircut for children, adults, and retired
persons?

> That would suggest to me that CourseOffering would have the (repeatable)
> schema.org:offers property.

If we do end up with what you describe I get the feeling we should be
concerned about  the overuse of the words offer and offering and how it
might impact understandability.

> A definition of CourseOffering might help. Several other specs make the
> distinction between abstract and concrete aspects of courses the relevant
> definitions are:
> XCRI-CAP BS 8581-1:2012 : “the course offered at a specific time and
> place, or through specific media”
>
> MLO-Advertising CWA 15903 : "A single occurrence of a learning
> opportunity. Unlike a Learning Opportunity Specification, a Learning
> Opportunity Instance is not abstract, may be bound to particular dates or
> locations, and may be applied for or participated in by learners."
>
> CEDS: "A setting in which organized instruction of course content is
> provided to one or more students for a given period of time. Note: A Course
> may be offered to more than one Course Section. Instruction may be
> delivered in person by one or more instructors or via a different medium.
> Sections that share space should be considered as separate Course Sections
> if they function as separate units for more than 50 percent of the time."
>
> One option would be to define CourseOffering in such a way that it match
> schema.org's Offer, something like: "the course offered at a specific
> time and place, or through specific media, at a specific price depending on
> the learner" But I don't like this: it would lead to unnecessary
> duplication of all the properties of a CourseOffering except for price.
>
> It's also worth considering whether the name CourseOffering is a poor
> choice of name if it leads to confusing assertions like schema.org:CourseOffering
> schema.org:offers schema.org:Offer.

As I said above before reading this ;-)