Re: Modelling Course and CourseOffering

The use of Course and CourseOffering suggests an affinity with an already
established well used pattern in Schema.org.

That pattern is based around the Offer <http://schema.org/Offer> type.
This enables the modelling/describing of the relationship between a thing
being offered (e.g.. a Course) and the Person/Organization (University ?)
offering that thing under certain circumstances - cost, availability,
eligibility, etc.

Several types (Product, Service, CreativeWork, Event) have an offers
<http://schema.org/offers> property “*An offer to provide this item—for
example, an offer to sell a product, rent the DVD of a movie, perform a
service, or give away tickets to an event.*” This could easy be also added
to Course.  Person & Organisation have a makesOffer property that enables
the description of the reverse relationship.

This pattern allows an Organisation to describe multiple offers for the
same thing - just as we are discussing multiple instances of the same
course.  It also would allow the description of multiple organisations
offering the same thing - this would be ideal for a site identifying which
institutions offer the course a student is searching for.

By creating a CourseOffer subtype of Offer, we could accommodate course
specific elements of the relationship, whilst being able to use the already
established mechanism in Schema.org to accommodate many of our needs.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate
http://dataliberate.com