      From: Phil Barker <phil.barker@hw.ac.uk>
 To: Alan Paull <alan@alanpaull.co.uk>; Jim Goodell <jgoodell2@yahoo.com>; Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>
Cc: "public-schema-course-extend@w3.org" <public-schema-course-extend@w3.org>
 Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 5:50 AM
 Subject: Re: schema course extend: Progress!

 Hello Jim, Alan, everyone. We should decide whether we delay proposing courseMode and courseCode for inclusion in the schema.org core. Thoughts on that would be most welcome.
  My 2 cents on the issues:
  courseMode, yes, this deliberately addresses several difficult to separate aspects of a course, for the sort of reasons that Alan describes below.  I see it as an example of the sort of compromise that needs to be made when trying to create a schema that works across many different contexts with providers who are, let us say, half-engaged (i.e. not using this schema as their primary means of encoding important data). I agree that a controlled vocabulary/enumeration would be hugely beneficial. I also think that it would address some of Jim's concerns while keeping the current breadth/impurity of meaning. For example couseMode : online  == VirtualIndicator : True (if I understand what you mean by 'virtual')
  courseMode : selfPaced  == CourseInteractionMode : Asynchronous
  However (assuming we take single courseMode approach), the question is whether we delay putting courseMode into schema until we develop the controlled vocabulary. I think that would be a significant delay.

 courseCode:
 The use case is "to find information about a specific identified course: the searcher is interested in information about known course, for example one on which they have already enrolled. The course may be identified by provider/name or by a course code."https://www.w3.org/community/schema-course-extend/wiki/Outline_use_cases#Use_case_3_find_information_about_a_specific_identified_course.

 I would be happy to change the description of the term to
 "The identifier used by the provider of the Course when advertising its availability"
 I think this distinguishes it from other identifiers use, for example, in returning stats about the course (which anyway is out of scope for this work). It also makes it clear that it is the providers identifier, not people offering enrolment to specific instances (again, implied as it is a property of Course not CourseInstance).

 [BTW, Alan, for that specific example, yes Bristol use the UCAS code when advertising the course.]

 Again, in longer term there might be more refined approaches. See Richard's comment athttps://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/1286#issuecomment-239119409 suggesting a IdentifierSpecification with identifierType and identifierValue properties. If this is introduced at schema level we can subsequently make courseCode a subtype of a more generic identifierValue and extend its range appropriately, if desired.

 Again, further thoughts most welcome.

 Phil