Re: Discord

On Sat, 22 May 2021, 1:25 am Jonas Smedegaard, <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:

> Quoting Timothy Holborn (2021-05-21 17:03:17)
> > On Sat, 22 May 2021 at 00:47, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:
> >
> > > Quoting Timothy Holborn (2021-05-21 16:18:13)
> [...]
> > > Discord is a walled garden.  Free software, yes, but not federated
> > > data.
> > >
> > > I will therefore *not* participate on Discord - in case that
> > > matters.
> > >
> > > Not quite the same as discord, I know, but if there is a need for a
> > > chat system where messages are tracked as threads and are
> > > searchable, then I can recommend Matrix for that.
> > >

> > I'm fine with matrix...  [but worry about abuse - details snipped]
>
> I do not see Matrix as a magic bullet against bad actors.
>
> And I wonder if you see Discord as such magic bullet.

Nope.  Didn't infer such a thing directly, did anything lead you to think I
did, for some reason?

There's a story about binarisms and the inherent falsehood that is
implicitly contained within them; that I could find and reference if that
helps?.?

Honesty has such enormous vulnerabilities by comparison to alternatives...

> (If instead you felt inspired to discuss _other_ somewhat related
> topics, then please note that I find it confusing to mix topics like
> that, regardless of importance of those other topics).
>
> [notes about additional nonexisting or non-federated tools snipped]

Noted.  [Subjectively]

TCH.