Re: Discord

Quoting Timothy Holborn (2021-05-21 17:03:17)
> On Sat, 22 May 2021 at 00:47, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Timothy Holborn (2021-05-21 16:18:13)
> > > Whilst i'm not suggesting this is an 'official channel' or
> > > whatever, i took some initiative and started: a RWW Discord
> > > Channel[1].
[...]
> > Discord is a walled garden.  Free software, yes, but not federated
> > data.
> >
> > I will therefore *not* participate on Discord - in case that
> > matters.
> >
> > Not quite the same as discord, I know, but if there is a need for a
> > chat system where messages are tracked as threads and are
> > searchable, then I can recommend Matrix for that.
> >

> I'm fine with matrix...  [but worry about abuse - details snipped]

I do not see Matrix as a magic bullet against bad actors.

And I wonder if you see Discord as such magic bullet.

(If instead you felt inspired to discuss _other_ somewhat related
topics, then please note that I find it confusing to mix topics like
that, regardless of importance of those other topics).

[notes about additional nonexisting or non-federated tools snipped]

 - Jonas