Re: Coherent (modern) definition of RWW

On 5/18/21 12:14 PM, Tomasz Pluskiewicz wrote:
> On 18 May 2021 at 17:20:51, Kingsley Idehen (kidehen@openlinksw.com) wrote:
>> On 5/18/21 4:26 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>> Quoting Kingsley Idehen (2021-05-17 23:26:33)
>>> I guess that's "Linked Data Platform 1.0": https://www.w3.org/TR/ldp/
>>>
>>> Write is done using WebDAV extensions to HTTP:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_Data_Platform#LDP_and_WebDAV_relationship
>>>
>>> Seems the main benefit of LDP is that publishers can host RDF data on
>>> legacy non-RDF systems - likely adequate and efficient for large bulks
>>> of data.
>>
>> In my experience, as an implementor of said protocol, LDP addresses the
>> fact that data may live in a file within a file system i.e., your
>> conventional file and folder setup. Thus, you can perform the following
>> operations:
>>
>> 1. Create a Folder
>>
>> 2. Delete a Folder
>>
>> 3. Add a File to a Folder
>>
>> 4. Delete a File from a Folder
>>
>> 5. Add content to a file, using a variety of content-types
>>
> I think that is my biggest issue with LDP. It is too specific, and does not represent the web as a graph of resources. In other words, the web is not a filesystem. That is an outdated mindset IMO, which might have worked with early web but hardly applies anymore.

A Web is an Entity Relationship Graph constructed from Pointers (i.e.,
Hyperlinks). Those pointers store addresses, and said addresses are
provided by resources (typically documents of some kind).

Ultimately, you will always have files in the mix due to the importance
of addressing be it volatile or persistent.

LDP simply addresses the reality above.

A DBMS, is an alternative to a File System for doing similar things.

This is why I encourage more "AND" and less "OR" when approaching these
matters.

> Graph Protocol on the other hand is overly simplistic and possibly hard to use for domain-specific cases. But most of all, it is so centred on Named Graphs being pushed to the topmost interface. This is not a good choice for a general-purpose RWW.

Yes!

The Web is a "horses for courses" platform. Unfortunately, there are too
many initiatives that simply refuse to accept this fundamental aspect of
its essence.

The Web is a platform of inclusion rather then exclusion, IMHO.

> Hydra on the other hand can be flexible enough to describe LDP as well as Graph Protocol, if one so wishes. Importantly though, it favours rich semantic description of resources, which allow tailoring a Read/Write web interface to a domain-specific problem.

That's good, and a nice addition to the cocktail of approaches that
already exist.

I recall, mapping Hydra to our own Web Services ontology a few years ago
with success [1]. That's what I expect of technologies that comprise the
Web Technology Stack.

> By building on top of RESTful HTTP it would be easier to appeal to teams not well versed in RDF, with the starting point being familiar stack.

Yes.

> That is the direction I would propose, rather than going for a one-size-fits-all solution, which will not be useful for the general public and thus slow (even slower) to adopt.
>
> Tom

One Size, or my preferred Size, fits all has never worked, historically.

Interoperability is the name of the game since logic provides us with a
powerful conceptual schema.

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support: https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):