Re: Evolution of the RWW -- a Temporal Web -- Towards Web 4.0 (?)

On 5/18/21 6:39 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> [...]
>>         >
>>         > The thing that particularly interests me is what I'll term
>>         quite vaguely, a web-scale temporal web.  What I mean by this
>>         is, that the timestamp operation (aka the witness operation)
>>         is global scope and not local.  Meaning if any one website
>>         goes down, the timestamping record will still be there
>>         allowing a reconstruction of the history.  Providing
>>         resilience.  In 2021, we have specialized time stamping
>>         servers (commonly referred to as pubic block chain) which can
>>         provide this time travel type functions.  From your comment
>>         there is a time travel in memento too.  In any case,
>>         interested in your findings, if you'd like to share ...
>>
>>         I think there is a clear need for any read-write web server
>>         such as Solid to keep versioning information,
>>         just to help restore versions in case a buggy hyper-App
>>         writes some data.  That use case does not require
>>         global consensus on version states. So I think that is local
>>         versioning will clearly be the first
>>         priority. Trellis-LDP implements somehting like this too, so
>>         I am following in the footsteps to get a
>>         better understanding of it.
>>

>>     Agree, that's the trouble with using a stateless protocol to
>>     manage state!
>>
>>     Exposing version via headers is a neat solution, I guess you can
>>     implement etag and if none match on write requests to avoid
>>     updating a resource for which you have a stale state / which has
>>     already changed without you knowing. That is probably good enough
>>     for most cases.
>>
>>     I guess chains come in to factor when you need reliable
>>     timestamps, and a provably tamper proof immutable chain of
>>     previous states.
>

>     Yes!
>
>     Throughput (and associated economics) remain challenges (as far as
>     I know) since blockchains are still database management systems
>     albeit a specialized variety where transaction logs are based on
>     various consensus protocols.
>

> They are finite resources due to the highly replicated, resilient and
> fault tolerant nature
>

>     Imagine trying to track the evolution of the description of
>     various entities in DBpedia since 2007, I don't know how it
>     wouldn't hit all the scalability thresholds re both throughput and
>     $$$.
>

> Fascinating use case.  Well It's fair to say we could probably track a
> single page quite well.  Tracking all the pages would be quite a
> challenge, but in 10 years with 5G and 100TB of data as common, this
> may actually be within reach and affordable
>
> The question arises as to why you'd want to do such a thing.
> The answer is that an independent timestamp server allows you to
> decentralize the client server model.  The read write web as it is
> today is highly reliant on client server centralization.  We have not
> yet made inroads into decentralizing that model leading to most things
> on the web going through a trusted third party, tracking you, or

*Use-Case Example*

Problem: Creator Conundurum

I *painstakingly* put together an RDF document that provides details
about the Beatles that's missing from DBpedia, Wikidata, and Musicbrainz
such as:

1. Song Instrumentalists

2. Recording Location

3. Song Producer

4. Instruments per song

5. etc..

I want to publish this to the Web, but not for $0.00 since there is a
serious opportunity cost associated with the production of the work in
question.

Challenges:

1. How do I express and assert ownership?

1. How do I track use over time and receive appropriate monetary credits?

Blockchain offers me NFTs as a potential ownership assertion mechanism.
It also offers an ability for me to track credits due over time via a
Smart Contract.

Issues with Blockchain:

1. Which of the zillion tokens + platform combos to I choose from?
2. Ultimately, do any of these actually scale to the levels required?

> By externalizing the time component and making the data, code, and
> deployment components commodity, or access controlled commodities, you
> can start to have a read write web of humans and agents.

This isn't an all or nothing situation i.e., we cannot look at the
notion of a RWW as not being in existence without all the pieces in
place, as we see them, based on our individual preferences and
perspectives.

I would encourage a more flexible approach based on use-cases, existing
solutions, and establishment of degrees of optimal-fit in regards to
platform independence and interoperability.

> The agents are really just a decentralization of a central server
> operating over a standards based API.  The RWW standards based APIs
> exist today, but the decentralized agents to run against them, largely
> do not, meaning we fall back to the persistence of central servers, or
> ephemeral clients and agents, that my run in a browser, or as a
> process, but almost inevitably do not build up enough history to
> become useful
>
> The web, ephemeral as it is, still works incredibly well, as an
> amorphous mass (in space).  The hyperlink as a super key is something
> that lives in time, and accrues reputation.

Hyperlinks functioning as Super Keys are simply pointers to an address
in a distributed computer that manifests as an Entity Relationship Graph
(Graph) comprising an ever increasing number of Networks.

Note, I make a distinction between Graph and Network in that the latter
is comprised of nodes that are connected by relationship types
(relations) that are transitive in nature. For example, the Web (*as
most experience it*) comprises documents connected by a "links_to"
relation that provides the basis for algorithms such as Google's Page
Rank etc..

> With the RWW as a driver of a state machine for the web, its not just
> about robust versioning, it's about making decentralized web scale
> agents as first class as the dominant central server model, too ...

It requires micro-agents rather than the browser monolith that currently
dominates the landscape :)

Kingsley